Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's Was a Good Morning

I so often use my blog to vent, but today I thought I'd try something a little different. Today I'm going to share how well my morning went. I know, novel idea. Actually, having a good morning has been kind of rare these days thanks to Bear's anxiety. I've been lucky to get him to school before 10:00 a.m. (it starts at 8:00 a.m.) and even then I've had to get someone to help me wrestle him into the building.

See, there I go complaining again. But it just feels so good sometimes...

But I promised happy things, so here goes.

My morning started off with my 100-pound dog jumping up on the bed beside me, curling up on The ODD Dad's vacant pillow, and licking my nose. Puppy kisses in the morning as I listen to her tail go "thump, thump, thump" just make me giggle.

Then I had a great morning with Bear. He took his medicine without a fight, ate his breakfast nicely, watched a bit of TV, got dressed and ready for school without complaint, and then headed off for the school bus with hugs and kisses and an "I love you, Mommy!" My heart swelled with love and pride when he turned to wave at me before getting on the bus, signing a hug and a kiss. We haven't had a morning like this in probably a month. OK, that might be a slight exageration, but there haven't been very many mornings like this lately.

Then I took Stitch to daycare, which usually breaks my heart. This is only his third week there and he only goes two days a week, so it's still new to him. The tears (his not mine, I promise) normally start as soon as we pull into a parking spot and don't stop until I leave. I know he has a great time once he settles down, but these are still the things that make mommies feel guilty. But today there were no tears when we arrived. I got him out of the van thinking they would start any minute, but they didn't. In fact, he ran to the door of the daycare, giggling as he went. I handed him over and he happily trotted away without looking back. For the second time this morning, my heart swelled with love and pride.

Then I got home to an email confirming that I will be the guest speaker at the monthly meeting of a local women's group during Children's Mental Health Week in May. This is an incredible opportunity to share my thoughts and experiences with children's mental illness with a group of women who possibly know nothing about it, so I'm really excited.

It was a good morning. Here's hoping tomorrow will be just as good, because I could get used to this.

4 comments:

  1. Boom to good mornings.
    Sometimes it's the simplest of things that can make a day start off right. I used to blog about those mini breaks of heaven during dark times. It was a momentous thing for me. I'm sure it is the same for you.
    Congrats on speaking!! You're going to rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on morning like these that I feel like the richest woman in the world! :D Congratulations on your speaking engagement. I'm sure you'll blow them away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found your blog (and that you found mine). Too true that getting off to school without a meltdown can make your whole day GOOD. Keep this day in your goody bag for when you need a boost on a not-so-successful morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can. It's amazing how big the little things can be when you have a guy like mine.

      Delete